Saturday, May 07, 2005

Creationist Rant 2

Sudden revelation: hypocrites walk the logic street!
im sick of hearing: "keep an open mind dude", or:" you're just closed minded!". Come on, you don't even know what you are saying.

Could it possibly be that by telling me to keep an open mind on a matter you are simply putting whatever responsibility you put on others to keep an open mind to shame, omitting yourself among those open minded people? Yea, that just might be it. By telling me to keep an open mind, that effectively disproves anything i have to say, since i'm a close minded religious zealot, and it keeps you from having to listen to what i say because you are so open minded you don't need another point of view.

Or is that not so? Tell me please! I'm so sick of everyone, just because i say something that has to so with a religious and moral standpoint, telling me to keep an open mind. Automatically, when you deal with a Christian person stating some views that just might be well argumented and convicting, he/she is a close minded conservative bent on harming the progress of humanity.

Just once, i would like to go into a conversation where we are all true to what we say. If you say to me to keep an open mind, you are putting the same pressure on yourself: you have to stay open minded, too. It's too easy to say to someone else to do something to keep yourself from doing that same thing.

I have already mentioned this: i am open minded. Believe it or not, i have doubts, more often than not, on what i believe. These doubts are normal for any self respecting Christian, and it shows that you do not believe what you believe purely because someone told you to. These doubts usually don't last long, because through Bible study and self examination, you see why you think that and you realize the evidence is just too overwhelming to doubt.
I find it extremely insulting when people tell me to keep an open mind on a matter where i have a strong view point, because they are doing nothing to prove me wrong, and i want to be proven wrong. No, all they are doing is avoiding the matter and labeling me a dogmatic close minded moron.

What does it mean anyways? Someone tell me. I don't know whether i have ever told anyone to keep an open mind. Remain logical, and follow the argument to the end. If there is no flaw in your logic, then the conclusion of the argument must be true. If you don't accept the truth then, then THAT is when you can say to someone to keep an open mind, and to not recoil onto what you have learned falsely. You cannot say this to someone who has yet to be shown wrong, anytime, because you are just dismissing what he has to say as unenlightened boorish stupidity, and protecting your weak intellect from any attack, since he will never change his mind anyway, right?

Also, when people tell me, you have already made up your mind, and you won't change your mind, well, that's not true. If im wrong, i change my mind, because only fools don't, and i consider myself to be more than a fool. But, and this is where you have to follow the logic: if im not wrong, then i don't change my mind. I'll let that sink in. If i have proven something wrong, or at least doubtful, then YOU should change your mind, and not dismiss me as: "well, you won't change your mind either way!". No, prove your point further, and if it's all the way logical, then you are right. If I am, then i'm right. Accept that maybe the religious zealot can be right, and not say he cannot, since he isn't scientific.

Another thing: logical fallacies. I hate those. im probably guilty of some now and then, but sometimes, man, it annoys me. When you "poison the well", for example, when you dismiss what i say because im young, i don't know everything, i haven't studied it like the scientists have, you are poisoning the well. Because im the one saying it, that makes it less true. Prove the argument wrong, then we discuss my age.
Another is ad hominem, attack the person, not the argument. It goes with poisoning the well. You can't prove me wrong, so say what i have done to a puppy, that i have sexual pleasures with other men, whatever you need to say to discredit me. This happen a lot: well, you are Christian, the Catholics have done a lot of bad stuff, therefore you are bad, i won't listen to you.
Lastly, but not really the end of fallacies, is when you turn the argument around: "well, what do YOU say on the matter?". Sorry dude, you need to prove my premise wrong, i don't need to prove myself right. Think about it.

anyways, i cannot stand hypocrisy like this, and the fact that you people need these tactics to evade an argument proves:
-that you actually don't know what you are talking about
-that you don't really know what you are believing
-that you are trying to not hear what i have to say
-and that you won't change your mind any more than you say i wouldn't, except you have been proven wrong or at least been put into serious doubt, making you a fool.

or am i too harsh?
is this just the rage i feel about being in Sweden right now?
is it the rage that i feel when i realize that no one here upholds the same values talking?

maybe. But this doesn't disprove anything i just said. i hope you noticed this.

peace dudes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home